Coming Soon......The NEXT Eaton Adventure 2018

Sunday, December 30, 2007

San Antonio, Texas


We ate breakfast at the Amber Sky restaurant. I had my first breakfast taco. A breakfast taco is basically your choice of eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes, onions, cheese on a tortilla. Good stuff! It was another sunny beautiful day, temps in the 60's. I can now tell you that the scenery has officially changed, alittle. We are starting to see some farmland. Corn and cotton. As we were riding along a car stopped and a guy got out of the car and was standing at the side of the road. Then we realized that it was Jon! Jon and the family were headed to Six Flags in San Antonio. What a surprise. It was good to see them again. We chatted for awhile and they went on. We had a headwind again today. There was alittle bit more traffic today but mostly everyone gave us plenty of room. We rode into Hondo and stopped at a hotel. The nights are getting down into the 20's. I hope Big Agnus doesn't get upset about having to stay on the bike instead of keeping us warm at night. When we got to the hotel, the guy who checked us in looked at my address and said "I lived in Circleville OH for a couple of years! Home of the Pumpkin Show right?" Talk about being surprised. In the room I washed out a couple pair of bike shorts and our jerseys since they didn't have a laundry. We called a pizza place who delivered and had spagetti for dinner. And watched football.


The next morning it was a little chilly to start. In the 40's. But with the sun it warmed up quickly. The road became a four lane but we still had a nice berm to ride on. The traffic picked up too. Probably since it was a holiday weekend. As we were riding along we were trying to remember the names of songs. At one point Hap said "The name is right on the tip of my tongue but I can't see it......." What??? Does that make sense to anyone else? We didn't have far to ride into San Antonio. So it was a very short day. The traffic picked up as we got closer to San Antonio. We have been following 90 East ever since we left the town of Van Horn many days ago. When we got into San Antonio, the traffic really picked up and we had the situation again where we were having to go across exit ramps and entrance ramps. That is a scary deal on a bicycle. Good thing our tandem has a lookout! We made it to the hotel, checked in and then asked about a grocery store. The lady at the hotel told us it was just down the street, go to the light, turn left, go under the freeway and it is right there. You can't miss it. I hate it when they say that. Can't they just leave well enough alone? We followed the directions and guess what we couldn't find it. And guess what there were about a zillion cars on the road. So....... I finally said stop I'm asking directions. I went into a barbershop (I hoped they spoke english) and got the directions. Then we headed out. After one U Turn, going past our turn, turning the wrong way, going the wrong direction on a one way road......we found it....no problem! We got to the grocery store. It looked like a shady part of town to me. Something about the sign on the front door that said please leave all backpacks at the front desk. I stayed outside with the bike and Hap went in to shop. When he came out we found a "backway" to the hotel.


Today we rode to SeaWorld. We had a great day walking around and watching the shows. It is just amazing what they can train the animals to do. In my first life I got my degree in Animal Health and planned to work for a Vet. I did work for some time at the Ohio State Vet Hospital. I loved it. But somehow I ended up working on people. Sometimes I wish I would have stayed working with animals. We rode back to the hotel and walked next door for dinner.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hap & Diane -

Happy New Year -

May the wind be at your back and the road down hill for 2008 -

-cjf- HCHS64 - NDCC -