Coming Soon......The NEXT Eaton Adventure 2018

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

July 1, 2014 Larned KS

Loki





Sometimes on a bike tour things don't go exactly as planned. You just never know......keep readin!

We didn't get away from Newton quite as early as we thought. Everyone else was sleeping and we didn't want to wake anyone up. Remember what I said earlier about trying to be quiet in the morning!? We had yogart, bananas, and oatmeal for breakfast before we finally blasted  off around 7:30am. We were hoping to beat the heat and the wind. But it was NOT to be. It was still sort of cool when we left (only 75 or so) but by late afternoon it was in the mid 90's with high humidity. The wind was out of the southwest-west early but by afternoon we had a big headwind from the west. At one point I didn't think I was actually moving.But I didn't fall over so guess I was. Nothing new on the terrain. We are still in Kansas. About 10 miles from Nickerson we ran out of water. We stopped in a car repair shop that was in the middle of nowhere for some water. Ended up sitting in some AC with a cold pepsi in our hands, talking to the people inside. Whew that place showed up at just the right time. Just before Nickerson, I looked over and thought is that a Zebra.....naw couldn't be must be a mirage...........wait that IS a zebra. Not sure what they were doing there but they were definitley zebras! The wind was pretty bad when we got to Nickerson. (20 + mph)

Our plan was to camp at the city park. God's plan..........well his was different.......... We went into City Hall to ask about camping and a place to eat. April sent us across the street to a pizza place. As we were eating the owner asked us the usual questions, where ya going, how far, how do you ride your bike like that, wish I could do that...etc etc. She mentioned that the senior center across the street had some bikers stay there a couple of nights ago. Our antennas were up! Mmmm... who would we ask about that? She wasn't sure, so we went back to the City Hall to ask about the Senior Center. April at City Hall was really helpful. When we asked about the Senior center she said, oh you need to
talk to Phyllis let me call her. She called and then said Phyllis said she would be right down. Sure enough 5 minutes later, Phyllis showed up. Gave us a tour of the Center, said we could stay there,

cook and even play pool if we wanted to. She gave us a key and then said, I'll be back with some
Rhubarb pie that I'm making!


Hap rode down to the park to see if the other cyclist that had stayed at the bike shop with us the night before was there. He was going to invite him to stay in the Air Conditioning with us. But he didn't find him. I walked down to the grocery for dinner supplies. Guess who I found? Wouter the cyclist from the Netherlands! I asked if he wanted to join us and he said sure. So I got enough spaghett and salad for him also. The weather man was calling for storms tonight. We were glad to be inside! See how God's plan is always better than ours?





No comments: