Coming Soon......The NEXT Eaton Adventure 2018

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Hawthorne, Florida



We're back! We have had quite a busy week driving all over Florida. We couldn't have planned this week because everything fit together too well. We rented a mini van threw the tandem and gear in and headed to Miami to visit the main offices of Alpha One. It sure seemed like we were moving awfully fast! It was a beautiful sunny 80 degree day. As we were riding we got a call from Alpha telling us that there was a major power outage in Miami, maybe we should consider not coming or staying outside of the city. As it turned out we had been talking with Father Dale and Val from Grace Church in Circleville and they were in West Palm Beach. We arranged to stop and spend some time with them and their daughter, son in law and grandson. We had a wonderful visit. It was such a blessing to see them. We didn't get to see Val, she had the flu. By the time we left West Palm Beach, the power was restored and we drove into Miami. I am not sure we would ever get used to the traffic in Miami. We found out the hardway if you are not moving a split second after the light turns green, someone will let you know! I am really glad we are not on the bike down here! Yiomara, her husband and daughter picked us up at the hotel and we went to a great seafood place for dinner.

The next morning Yiomara and Katie met us for breakfast along with a photographer. We went across the street to the University of Miami to take some neat pictures. When we left Ohio many months ago, on our mission to spread the word about Alpha One we never expected the very warm welcome we received from the whole Alpha One organization. Yiomara brought her bike and rode with us over to the Alpha one offices. It was a mere 3.5 miles BUT we SURVIVED! It was some ride. We rode on and off the sidewalk trying to avoid as much traffic possible. Ha Ha! That was a joke. When we rode up to the Alpha office we were greeted by all the employees standing outside with noise makes, and confetti. Boy we're we surprised! It was awesome. Then they took us inside for an incredible meal and to talk about our trip. We also got to learn about the function of the Alpha Organization. It was a wonderful surprise. What I didn't realize was how much the Alpha organization was a family. We felt like we were part of a big family. We loved it and appreciated it so much. We rode back to the hotel and Yiomara picked us up and we met several of the Alpha group for dinner at a great seafood house. We had raw bar with trays of fresh oysters, stone crabs and shrimp. I had my very first raw oyster and I liked it! We also got to know alot of the people that we have been talking with for the past many months. We left there feeling like we were leaving our family. Thank you Alpha for all that you did for us in Miami! We are looking forward to doing anything we can to spread awareness and help Alpha patients.

We left Miami and drove west toward the gulf coast. We stopped to look at some alligators and neat birds at a sanctuary on the way. In Fort Myers we found a hotel and went to the grocery for dinner stuff.

The next day we spent on Fort Myers beach. We thought we should at least get on one beach while we were in Florida. It was fun for a couple of hours. Then we headed north to Palmetto (by Bradenton) to stay with our friends Chuck and Annmarie that we had seen on their way south. It was som much fun to see them. We had a great time. The first night we went to a chinese buffet. The next day we spent the day on Anna Marie Island. It was a beautiful beach. And it wasn't as "touristy" as the other beach. Chuck let me drive his "sportscar". It is a BMW Z4 convertable. We drove across the big bridge to Tampa. Just as we were coming up to the bridge a Carnival Cruise ship was going under the bridge. That was pretty cool! It didn't look like it was going to fit but it did. When we had 3 clear lanes in front of us, Chuck said "Punch It!" So I gave it alittle gas. He said "no all the way to the floor". So I did! Wow! We took off like a rocket. It was neat. But then I've been traveling along at 15 mph instead of the 95 mph!

On Sunday morning we went to the Baptist church with Chuck, Annmarie and another couple from Ohio. After chuch they had a fish fry so of course we had to eat. What can you do? We didn't want to be rude! Then we relunctantly left them to head to Ocala to meet my brothers and wives at the Ocala Speedway. There came down to race their motorcycles. They race vintage motorcycles. My family has always been into motorcycle racing. My dad raced back in the 60's. They have been coming down to Daytona for Bike week in March since I can remember. In fact the way Hap and I met is Hap sold Mike a motorcycle when Mike decided to go roadracing instead of dirt track racing. They started racing together back in the mid 70's. I sort of tagged along to the races when I could. It was really fun to see them race again. We stayed at the track with them in Jeff and Peggy's RV. So THIS is what "camping" is?

Yesterday we drove back to Gainesville and checked into a motel to repack and get ready for the last leg of our journey. And it has been a journey. I think it is funny when people ask us how we planned for this trip. Believe me there is no way to plan something like this. Like the note at the top of the blog "Everyday is an adventure and God is always there". Ya never know what will happen next. We spent the day just relaxing at the hotel. Although, I did get a massage and a haircut.

This morning we woke up to a threat of severe storms, so we decided that our fallback plan would be to do a short ride to Hawthorne mostly on the Gainesville-Hawthorne Trail. It was a nice trail. We checked into a motel just as the rain came. But we lucked out again. The awful storms they predicted never happened. Just some heavy rain. After the rain we walked down the street and went to the Dollar Store. Ok so now I am worried about me. I realized how excited I was to be able to go "shopping?" At the Dollar Store?? And I was looking at underware?? Anybody else see a problem. And then when we checked out the girl said, "Do you ride bikes?" I thought how does she know that? Is it obvious? Maybe she saw me looking at the underware??? I asked how she knew and she answered "Because your legs look strong!". Oh, ok. Tomorrow is supposed to be beautiful clear warm day. We will be riding to St Augustine and the "left ocean" tomorrow for our next left turn. We have one more before reaching Ohio.

No comments: