Coming Soon......The NEXT Eaton Adventure 2018

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 Dumfrees, VA

The last I wrote we got caught in a storm and raced to find a motel on a very busy Route 1. Today we are taking a day off in Dumfrees, VA because........wait for it.......it is pouring down rain. All day.... ah well that's bike touring. But let's go back to our hotel in Richmond VA. The morning after THAT storm was a beautiful sunny day, although cooler. Mid 60's instead of the mid 80's that we have been having. Our route out of Richmond was a great route. The East Coast Greenway had done its homework this time (stay tuned). The winding roads were low traffic, tree lined, and moderately hilly. We saw alot of cyclists both coming and going. Always a good sign!  A really pretty ride. We stopped in Ashland at a coffee shop. There were lots of cyclists going in and out. We parked our tour Bus next to all of the lightweight "race" bikes. Ours weighing about 100 pounds, their's weighing about 18-20 pounds.

The Closet!


Putting the bedroom on the rack!

Following Route 1


In Ashland at the coffee shop, we placed our order at the counter and started chatting with the other cyclists about our trip. After quite awhile I realized that most of the cyclists going in or out were leaving with there coffee. About the same time a kid came over to tell us that they didn't have bacon did we want ham? Sure. And we kept talking. Mmmm.... seemed like a long time? 
So I went up to the counter and asked the girl about our food/coffee. Oh, uh yes it's almost ready. As I was standing by another girl that had come in a couple minutes ago, and she handed her food and coffee?? I asked if I could have my coffee and she handed me a cup........and said you can get your coffee over there.......... No food yet....... I went over to get coffee and the pot was empty. But there was another carafe there. Of course I had to figure out how to open it...... Finally I got coffee! Now 
for the food. By this time the place was empty, everybody had gotten their food/coffee and left. I went back to the counter and the girl looked at me and said OH uh it's almost done. Do you want ham 
instead of bacon?  Perfect!  She handed me the food. When I asked for a napkin she said they are 
over by the coffee...... OK, so I go to get a napkin and there were no napkins......... Much later....... we left the coffee shop and made a wrong turn.....

Our target for today was a KOA near Fredericksburg. We arrived about 5p without any dinner supplies. We were checking out the store supplies there and the guy said there are a couple of places that deliver. Chinese or Pizza? that settled the dinner issue. And the store had beer too, we are all set now. When we checked in the camping without electric, water or heater came to $36.71. Look we don't want to buy the site we just want to pitch a tent. No choice, I remember when camping used to cost $12-$15.00. That's in the olden time, I guess. We set up the tent, showered and headed to the 
laundry room to wait on our chinese food. (Another Eaton first). The food arrived, the laundry got done, and Big Agnes kept us warm for the night. Oh, and the movie on my IPAD was great! 





Hap making the bed!

We left the campground in sunny but much cooler weather. Actually perfect cycling weather. We got about a mile from the campground and on the very first hill, granny decided not to come out and play. Translation: our granny (lowest gear) didn't engage. Which meant a very tough climb without granny. We creeped over the first hill of the day. But we made it. Put it in the W column for the Eaton's, we 
didn't fall over. The rest of the day we had lots of hills, but we also had granny to play with. Thank goodness. 





We are riding happily along, life is good, granny is working, roads are awesome,  sun is shining BUT THEN........ as I've said we are following the East Coast Greenway. Hap has the route on his ETREX 20 GPS unit, so all we have to do is follow the blue line. If the line turns green that means that we are on a "bike trail". We are also double checking the route on my phone using Google Maps. We made a right turn (after climbing a huge hill), and then road a narrow road back DOWN the hill, does this seem right Hap? The road dissappeared at another hiking path (yes, just like the other day). No warning, it looked like it was going to be a paved path. Nope not paved. We looked at the map and decided that it was only a half mile walk up the HIKING (we are not hiking) path to the road. The 
East Coast Greenway is about to lose its privileges. We rode into Fredericksburg about two hours 
after leaving the campground. I asked a guy at the KOA how long it took to get to Fredericksburg and he said 20 minutes. Both of us needed a time out after our little hike. We stopped for lunch before leaving town. After leaving Fredericksburg we ended up riding on Route 1 with all the traffic. Very 
stressful riding on four lane highway. Everyone gave us plenty of room, but its just no fun. The weather was predicted to turn nasty for the next day, so I got a hotel room in Dumfrees. We stopped for some dinner supplies before we got there. We carefully planned our route to the hotel to make sure that it was low traffic. As it turned out everyone in Dumfrees was going home at the same time and on the same road. And we were climbing a hill with no shoulder. Most of the traffic was patient, so we all made it safely. 


Hiking path.....????!!!!@*@@((@***@p








Our day off was spent changing our route to follow Adventure Cycling Atlantic Coast Route. At least with their routes we know if there is a hiking path coming! Tomorrow we are planning a visit to Mt Vernon. Hopefully the rain will stop! 
The ONLY way to spend a rainy day!

Our new route