Hello everyone, sorry we have not posted for awhile. We are still in Indianapolis and will be here for another week visiting family. This morning we got out for a ride on the Monon Bike trail. It is a great trail through the heart of Indy. I have been able to get over to the YMCA every day for swimming and my back exercises. One of the concerns for this trip is will my back and neck hold up. So getting in the pool and doing the very specific exercises prescribed are very important. I also have a massage and chiropractic visit planned.
One of the questions that several people are asking is "How do you train for a ride like this?" The answer is we don't train, we live a lifestyle that makes it possible. If you know us very well you know that we "train" everyday. Biking, running (although that is out for me right now), swimming, weight lifting, racquetball and just plain having fun. The only thing that I think needs to be "trained" is our gluteus maximus (look it up!) and that shouldn't be a problem. Hap having cramps the other day took us alittle by surprise, but I think it was a combination of the high temperature and humidity and not enough calorie intake. Once he started cramping we put in him, a power bar, 2 gels and 2 bottles of water and then about an hour later, did the same thing. He didn't have any more trouble after that.
We have our first presentation set up for the Alpha One Organization. www.alphaone.org for next Friday. We will be speaking to the staff of a plasma center. Prolastin the only medication proven to help Alpha One is made from plasma. Dugan and Sonnie are driving over for the presentation. We are so excited to be able to give back to an organization that has helped Dugan so much.
Speaking of Dugan. He, along with his daughter Kendall are riding TOSRV today. We just talked to him and he had made it to Circleville (25 miles). So far he had used 3 tanks of oxygen. He sounded like he was in good spirits. I will post some pics for you later. So all of you who are sitting on the couch reading this........there is a man who has 29% lung function out riding his bike! What are YOU doing today.
That's all for now. Remember we will be stationary for another week. After that the destination is Brazil, IN or close to that. Oh and I realize that some of the posted pics are duplicate. I am still working out the bugs so hang in there. I have a year to figure it out...........
Diane and Hap
1 comment:
HAP and DIANE...
howdy--the site looks great and i have already bookmarked for regular checking in.
thanks for a good mother's day--laura and i really enjoyed the Eaton Clan and all the discussion.
Blessings on the road--joshua, laura, and anson
ps-no blogs since teaching last year... that will soon change!
Post a Comment